Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wool Socks

Wool socks.  The epitome of warmth and comfort on Wintery days.  This is what I thought when I set out knitting these guys for my brother-in-law, Colin.  He is an outdoorsy guy who hunts and fishes and has loved the fingerless gloves I've made for him in the past. So, I started knitting.  These are the third pair of socks I've made in my four and a half years as a knitter.  The first pair took about 6 months.  Well, the first sock took about 3 months and the second sock took three months to even make it onto the needles but knit up in a couple of weeks.  The second pair I blitzed and finished in a little over a week. Naturally, I was optimistic when I cast on the first of this pair back before Thanksgiving - Canadian Thanksgiving - at the beginning of October.  This is as far as they've made it - or rather, IT has made it.


The combination of a knit 3, purl 1 pattern and the very fine navy blue yarn means that I need good lighting to work on these and since I have a 3.5 year old and a 23month-old - I knit mostly watching TV with Keith in the evenings with very poor lighting.

Needless to say, I took a break from knitting on these for a few weeks after the holidays, once I was reconciled to the fact that Colin wouldn't be getting these socks before Spring.  During my hiatus I was at our monthly knitting guild meeting with my friend Jasmine. I was telling her about "those stupid socks" when the lady across the table told me she had knit every pair of socks her husband had for the last 50 years.  In a knit 3, purl 1 pattern.  In black yarn.  She told me she hated knitting every pair, but he loved them so she kept doing it for 50 years.  Isn't that just it?  Us crazy knitters will knit something we hate working on for someone we love just because we know they will love it.  We are a mental, but generous bunch.

p.s. If you haven't looked at this video on Franklin Habit's blog: The Panopticon, I think you should.  Especially if you are a non-knitter with a knitting friend.  This may explain a lot.  



1 comment:

Unknown said...

As the happy recipient of your 6 mo. pair of socks, I eagerly say "Keep going! It's worth it!" That lady shows such a true example of what love is. I quite enjoyed the video, & seem to remember you talking about it some time ago!