Thursday, February 10, 2011

Febrrrrruary

So many things already in this shortest and hardest month.  Small triumphs, epic fails, sickness, a new resident,  sleep-deprived nights, big birthdays, overdue talks with faraway friends, and frigid temperatures.

This has been a tough month so far. It has been cold and the kids and I have been sick - a lot.  I've been missing my family and my oldest friends (not old in years, of course).  My friend, Jan, told me February is the hardest month for parenting and given my experience and that she has 7 kids, I believe her.

But despite the challenges, I am glad to see the small steps forward in the sea of used kleenex, the continuous coughing and whining, and empty bottles of infant and adult tylenol. I am proud of my husband for all of the slack he's picked up and never complained about despite it's toll.  I'm thankful for the healing of tiny bodies.  I am grateful for volunteers who remember what it was like to have small kids in the Winter months.  I was happy to celebrate my 30th birthday this month.  I felt I parented well through one of the worst days I've had - and that was no small victory :).  I got back to some homeschooling with Isaiah.  I found out Lucy likes raw red peppers. I got a great new haircut at a real salon. I received some beautiful birthday presents (like this one from Jasmine) I have gift certificates for yarn and books and coffee.  Really, the rest of this month may not be too bad.

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

I miss you. When we're both better we need to visit. My life needs a little more Darcie.