Monday, February 7, 2011

Drycleaners and Pygmy Puffs

It was the first week in January and Keith's birthday so I went to get my hair cut upon his request.  I have a small face, so when my bangs get too long they kind of - take over.  Keith happens to like my face so I thought it would be a nice gift if he could see it again.  The hairdresser only had time to cut my bangs since I didn't have an appointment so I was childless and had 20 extra minutes of spare time!

I was feeling leisurely when I left the salon and happened to be looking in the windows of the other shops in the strip mall when I saw it - yarn.  Yarn and knit up socks in the window of a drycleaner.  I believe I threw open the door and said - okay, yelled - "You sell yarn here!"   If you aren't a knitter or crocheter you probably don't understand what it is like to find a new yarn source a mere 5 minute walk from your house.  So, after my outburst, the very sweet lady behind the counter started to tell me about her online yarn store and her mother who knit up the socks.  The yarn was mostly bamboo sock weight yarn and some chunky wool but the prices were great.  They also had some eyelash yarn for dirt cheap and I had only just stumbled upon Nancy Frye's pattern for Pygmy Puffs from Harry Potter VI.  What was a girl to do?  So I spent $7.50 for two balls of bamboo and one ball of purple/blue eyelash yarn.  

Here is my Puff :)

I think I'm going to knit the stay-on baby booties with bamboo, but we'll see.  I have managed to stay on my yarn-fast wagon since my slip on the 6th - but we are entering February, which although short, seems to drag out the Winter here in Ottawa...and I think my Christmas dress needs to be drycleaned :)

1 comment:

Diana said...

hahaha, you're so cute, I can just picture you bursting in there looking for yarn. I love the puff, very cute! Love you, miss you and I hope you're feeling better soon!