Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reasons Why Yarn is a Weapon

Just when I was feeling a bit gloomy from being busy and discouraged and, let's face it, grumpy with my kids, I got this beautiful gem of a book in the mail from my friend Pam.  I must have rubbed off on her during all those Sunday nights of board games with NHL200whatever in the background.  I'm quite sure she would never have bought me book of horrific, scandalous and emasculating yarn catastrophes, complete with less-than-appropriate commentary.  But she did, and I love her for it.



Oh, how I love that knitted helmet!

Now, I'm not sure I'm supposed to be posting pictures from this book, but it is all in praise of Stitchy McYarnpants and her work in uncovering these treasures from the past.




This is one of my favourite parts.  It has long been discussed in yarny circles, this problem with knitting for our manly loved ones.  After thumbing through this chapter I think Keith would happily wear anything I knit for him provided he never ended up looking like any of these chumps.

And onto my the most entertaining and perhaps most disturbing chapter on knitted toys.  I have now seen enough terrifying clowns and babies in knitted unitards with gun holsters and cowboy hats.  It has definitely made me rethink the toys I've thought of making for the kids.

Thank you, Pam  for this fantastic book.  Whenever I start to feel discouraged about my own knitting disasters it will be nice to have this little piece of perspective!

2 comments:

Diana said...

hahahahaha, that's fabulous! What a great book to have on hand for a good laungh. Love you darcie, and they way you influence people into yarnyness ;)

Becky said...

I love the captions! The world does need fewer drunk rabbits. I'm going to need you to bring this to the next knit night, please.