Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer dresses for Miss Lucy

My dear friend Jasmine bought me this book for Christmas and I have been waiting for the time, inspiration, and fabric to make some cute clothes.  True to myself, when life got busy, Darcie got crafty.  Call is escapism, if you will.  But last month I found the time and made these two adorable dresses for my wee lass.


The first I actually made twice.  The trouble with sewing after the kids are in bed is that you can't measure them. So, the first attempt turned out too tight around the chest and will go into my gift/in the event of future children pile of stuff until I decide what to do with it.  


Sorry the pictures aren't better.  Have you ever tried to take a picture of a 2 year-old who felt pretty?

I made it - well, both of them actually, from the fabric I received from Keith's late grandma.  It is so pretty and was asking to be sewn into a dress for a toddlergirl.  The straps are too long and I need to fix them but it is otherwise satisfactory and I made it in 3 hours.  I was quite proud of how this one turned out.


The second was a nightmare in some ways - but oh so simple in others.  It was my first attempt at shirring - or smocking.  The book talked about doing it like it was no big deal - like it shouldn't mess with the tension on your machine - having elastic thread on the bottom and regular thread on top.  The machine I was using kept jamming and was very ornery about the whole thing.  Since my machine was seized (until my father-in-law came to the rescue) this little dresses was side-lined for a long time.


Once I had my machine back it too me about two hours.  And since it is smocked, it fits perfectly.  Although those straps are too long on this one as well...okay..so not "perfectly" - but close enough for me.  If Lucy didn't already have a closet full of summer hand-me-down clothes, I'd make 7 of these and she would wear one every day to play in.  The fabric I bought at value village for $2.99 or something and I've made a baby blanket as well as this dress.  Not bad :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's obvious how pretty Lucy feels by her big smile! My favourite dresses when I was growing up were the smocked ones which Mum or Grandma made. I'm glad you've been able to put Grandma's material to such perfect use, & that Dad was able to come to your rescue in time!