Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Birthday Gift...

There hasn't been a lot of overly-productive crafting going on here lately.  Matthew House is busy and full and there is a growing garden to tend and two very busy kids to play with and all of that glorious sunshine that has caused me to put down my lovely sweater knitting and pick up sock knitting. Naturally, new socks - not the navy blue ones I was supposed to finish in time for last Christmas.

But, in spite of the slow knitting and the nightly game (or two) of Age of Empires III I've been playing with the Keither, I found time to make a little boy a birthday present.  A friend of Lucy and Isaiah had a birthday party this Saturday and instead of buying him another plastic toy I thought I'd springboard off of the wonderful gift idea my friend gave to Isaiah for his 4th birthday and do up a Fort Kit for this next birthday boy.

I didn't use a pattern for the backpack but made it out of some fabric I picked up at the thrift store.  It was very easy and I'd be happy to write out detailed instructions for any of you who would like them.

Inside the bay is a bedsheet with long fabric ties at each corner and on the sides so it can be tied to trees, decks, chairs, etc.  There is also some rope and some clothes pins.  I hope he likes it.  I know Isaiah LOVES his. (Thanks again, Diana!).  She got the idea from a blog but I didn't ask her which one, sorry.

Hope you make your own Fort Kits for the burgeoning adventurers in your life.



1 comment:

Diana said...

Awesome! I'm so glad Izer likes it! I wish I had made a sweet bag for it like you, I'd love to see how you did it :) Here's where I saw the idea for the fort kit: http://www.saltwater-kids.com/2010/12/thrifty-gifts-fort-building-kit.html

I found it when I had gone to her blog to see her sweet retro duffel bag tutorial, she's got some hilarious pictures!

Love you lots Darcie, you are a creative wonder!