Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wholesome(er) Whole Wheat Cookies

My craft-night friend, Becky, wrote out her very yummy chocolate chip cookie recipe for me a while ago and I've been experimenting with it to make a healthier version for the littles.  Here is what I've landed on.  Keith even liked them, so I think I'll stick with this version.  I've been trying to get a picture of the finished cookies for ages but they never last long enough for me to take one.

1 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup combination of raisins, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, coconut, dried cranberries or any other add-ins you'd like to try.

Cream together shortening and sugars.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Add flour, baking soda and salt.  Combine well.  Fold in chocolate chips and other add-ins.  Drop by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheets.  Bake @ 350F for 10-12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to wire cooling racks.

No comments: