Monday, September 10, 2012

Oh What a Busy Day...

Saturday was a quiet day here at home.  Keith was away in Oakville for the elders energizing and equipping meeting and I was here with the kids, listening to the thunderstorms pass by, each of us working away on our own projects. Lucy and Charity took long naps, Isaiah built a helicopter with tinker toys and string and I puttered along on a quilt top.  It was lovely and serene (for the most part). 

The sun was back yesterday and the temperature cool which triggered the annual apple picking buzzer that goes off in my brain and whines incessantly until there are 20lbs of apples in my kitchen. Although I was all gung-ho to get me some apples, I didn't have my best start out of the gate this morning.  I stayed up too late and was up early to get us out the door on time for church. On time for this morning meant in the car by 8:05.  The coffee maker acted up. Three times.  We were out of peanut butter. We made it, but I didn't have any coffee and there were no post-church peanut butter sandwiches packed. I did manage to grab four apples on the way out of the door. I know, I know.  We were going apple picking - why would I bring apples from home to eat. Because they were there - which is the same reason they were eaten right after church.  :)

On our way home to pick up some warmer clothes before heading to the orchard we drove by a school where a local church was hosting a community picnic. Lunch issue solved. Hotdogs and pulled pork sandwiches free of charge. bouncy house. Bible story for the kids.  You bet.  

Onward.

We gathered up our things at home and headed for Mountain Apple Orchard.  It takes about half an hour to get there but it was a pretty neat place.  The apple cider doughnuts were delicious ($8/doz). The apple cider was pretty good too. The apples themselves were a little small but many of the were red and ready for picking - most were still on the trees. They charged $25/20lb bag. There were smaller bags for $16 but those were for sissies.  

They also had a huge corn maze, straw jumping for the kidlets, some crafty things, alpacas, a big dirt mound, and used books. The used book selection and pricing was the best I have seen in a long time.  We bought 16 books for $4.00. Yup, 25 cents a book. Brilliant. I'd like to write more about those books in another post and talk about the collection we're trying to build for our kids. 

And so, at the end of the day we had three tired kids, each nearly asleep, two even more exhausted parents, and one delicious apple crisp fresh out of the oven. And 19lbs.of apples to go.

No comments: