Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Birthday for Lucy

My sweet baby girl turned 3 last Friday.  I tried to get this posted on the day but the photos weren't cooperating.  I remember her arrival like it was yesterday - perhaps because there is another baby girl due to arrive soon and I've been reviewing that process in my mind more often lately.  I remember her tiny face and her perfect eyebrows that one nurse said looked like someone had drawn them on.  She cried - oh - she cried.  She was hungry and things take a couple of days to get going in that department so until a nurse finally suggested we "top her up with a bit of formula", I was at a loss with that little perfect girl.  I slept on the couch for the first four months of her life, with her in the bassinet beside me. Finally she was ready to room-in with her brother and she's been with him ever since until this past December. She has grown into an independent "big" girl who would prefer to get messy than get cuddled.  She is creative and resilient and really really funny. She is a little mum to all of her babies and stuffies.  She is also a very loyal little sister to Izer.  It has been a great joy to see them love and look out for each other (most of the time).  When I asked her what she wanted for her birthday she told me she wants her daddy.  Well, cake - and her dad.  Keith has been working overtime lately so the kids have been missing him.  I tried to let go of my nesting urges to clean clean clean and let them get a bit messy on the big day.  They played with a sink of water in the upstairs bathroom and made caterpillars out of egg cartons. In the afternoon they got to decorate purple cupcakes with bright pink icing.  I hoped it would take them 45 minutes or so to do all of those cupcakes.  It took about 15 minutes and that was because I was bottlenecking the process with my slow icing skills. I suppose I greatly underestimated the desire to eat the cupcakes post-decorating.  On Saturday we took them to the toy store to pick out a present and then to the swimming pool. I was so proud of how brave they are becoming.  I think Lucy is part fish.  I have one button to sew on to Lucy's birthday sweater.  Almost there.  I'll post pictures of the finished product soon.    

1 comment:

Mommy Emily said...

happy birthday lucy!