Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Happy Little Space...

 
I saw it the other day, on the side of the bus shelter; "Kindergarten Registration" - it starts this week.  It was a bit of a shock to me.  Isaiah is old enough this year to register for JK and that shocked me a bit too.   Keith and I have been planning to homeschool our kids since we were engaged. During the past year or so I've been trying to do more learning activities and purposeful play with Isaiah to help prepare him and myself for his homeschooling journey. However, all structure sort of flew out of the window when we moved to Matthew House and the residents moved in.


Well, I reacted to the school situation the way I typically do when confronted with stressful and daunting tasks; momentarily panic, then begin to consider all options in case I can't pull this one off, then begin to furiously research and plan and plan and plan until I don't feel anxious anymore.  My coping mechanism for stress has always been to start to chip away at the problem - it feels active, productive, and usually gives me a better idea of how big the problem really is - which 9 times out of 10 - is not as big as I originally thought.

So, here you have it, a little spot in Matthew House that is for TotSchool with my kids. Fortunately, I've been reading a lot of terrific blogs for some time
and they have all sorts of ideas and links and resources for homeschooling preschoolers.  I'll try to post pictures of the Totbooks I'm putting together.  Most are from 1+1+1=1.  I haven't put them into the folders but put out two or three of the activities at a time.  So far Isaiah is LOVING the dinosaur activities. I think the added structure to the day will really benefit the littles even if they don't learn exactly what I think they should. I think the structure will really help me out as well since balance is still elusive in this odd little world we live in. Here is to a fresh start!

2 comments:

Diana said...

It looks great Darcie! I love the space you made them, and how excited they already look. Hard to believe that Izer is old enough to start JK, I think my heart just broke a little bit.
Love you and miss you. I can't wait to hear more about TotSchool! Let's have a skype date sometime soon, I miss your face :) Give your littles big hugs from me, and make them hug you back! :)

Unknown said...

I've been missing you all lately, & this just made me want to see you even more! Darcie, you're such an inspiration & look so organized already. (By the way, can I send my kids to you for homeschooling?!)