Thursday, April 28, 2011

Vintage Goodness...

Last Spring, Keith's grandma passed away and after a few months Grandpa asked all of the grandkids to come and go through Grandma's belongings and take what we'd like.  I was away at school when both of my grandmothers died so I was never part of this process.  It was overwhelming - the feeling that these were her's - that she picked them out herself and I felt I knew this Grandmother-in-law of mine a bit better by being there.  The most wonderful and also somewhat sad part was going through all of her yarn and fabric and notions.  Beautiful fabric all neatly tied into bundles with scraps secured inside.  Summery cotton prints neatly folded and waiting for their turn to be sewn into something useful and lovely.  She wasted nothing - each scrap was there just in case she ever needed it for a log cabin square or a pocket lining. Grandpa even sent along her Bernina sewing machine.  I cannot wait to try it out.  It was so special and humbling to go through her wardrobes of cloth and sewing tables - to pick and choose as best I could what I would use and what might be better used by the quilting guild. I was sad because none of her original granddaughters sew or knit.  I was sad that they couldn't fully appreciate the richness of her collection of thread, rickrack, wool and cloth. The history in the cut fabric of pajamas and receiving blankets and nightgowns; pant suits and summer skirts and blouses. I was honoured to take it and I hope I can make some beautiful things for her great grandbabies - just like she would have wanted to do.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I would love to be able to do what you do, Darcie, and with so much love and creativity, too! :)
Thanks for treasuring Grandma and her collection... for making something new and beautiful out of her carefully saved material!
Love you.