Friday, September 3, 2010

The Air is Turning

Or so they tell me...I have been waiting out this heat wave, waiting for the bite in the air.  Tomorrow, they say, it will turn.  Tonight they predict a thunder storm.  I've made some caramel corn as a thunder storm treat for the kids.  When Keith was growing up, his mother used to pull the kids out of bed in the night if there was a thunder storm and have them stand at the window to watch.  They all loved it.  What a beautiful memory for them.  I'm hoping to create some similar memories for my kids, be it a thunderstorm snack or a new holiday tradition.

Truthfully, Autumn is my favourite season.  The only thing I don't like about it is that is so short.  I loved the back to school buzz in the air at the start of September.  I love long-sleeves and scarves and hats.  I love roasting root vegetables and harvesting the garden (if only I had one of my own). I love knitting sweaters to keep my wee ones warm, and learning to sew so I can make them each a quilt of their own.  I love the colour of the leaves as they change and the look of the bare branches as they fall. I love the deep breath of Autumn before bracing for Winter.  But for now, it is 37 degrees, I'm making caramel popcorn and waiting for the turn.

3 comments:

meredow said...

Darcie, you are such a gifted writer! This was such an interesting blog to read, not only because I love learning more about you & hearing what you all are up to, but because your prose is so eloquent!
Waiting out thunder storms at night was such a great experience for me as a kid that I began praying for a huge storm each evening during my bedtime prayers! I'm sure your enjoyment of storms will be infectious for your kids!
And thanks for getting me excited about Autumn - the summer has flown by so quickly that I've hardly noticed the beginnings of the new season!

Mommy Emily said...

you are such a good mama. making caramel popcorn... i wish i could 'pop' on over and enjoy it with you. xo

Keith Dow said...

Thanks ladies! It is a wonderful thing to be grafted into such a wonderful family :)