Friday, January 19, 2007

A "Dirty" Dealing

It was 3:20pm when the call came in. "I've arrived. When can you meet me?" I checked my watch. "I have to stop to get the money - maybe twenty minutes." "I've parked in front of the cart return at Toys R Us. I drive an olive green Grand Prix." Click - she hung up. Keith and I stopped and picked up the cash. We didn't want a paper trail. We pulled into the Toys R Us and were heralded by a woman pulling a large green rubbermaid crate out of her trunk. We met between the parked cars. Money exchanged well practiced hands. And after a word or two of thanks and a quick peek in the crate to ensure the goods were intact, Keith and I stowed the crate in our car and the woman disappeared into the store. When we arrived home I started to excitedly unpack the crate. Our first major purchase as expectant parents. 39 cloth diapers. That's how the dirty dealing went down.

No comments: